Water Spreads Quickly
Less than 1 hour
Within just minutes water can spread throughout your property, while saturating everything in its path.
Water will absorb into your walls, floors, your furniture. Photographs, books, and etc. start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
Drywall begins to swell and crack, metal surfaces begin to tarnish, your furniture begins to swell and crack, And then that stubborn musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
Mold and mildew may grow and spread, your doors, windows, and studs swell and warp, metal begins to rust and corrode, furniture warps and shows signs of mold, the paint on your walls and trim begins to blister, that beautiful wood flooring swells and warps, and worst of all, serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose a huge risk to occupants. Unfortunately, replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding can be extensive.
Water is invasive and spreads quickly. Our knowledgeable staff at SERVPRO of Frankfort will arrive quickly and starts the water extraction process immediately. Give us a call today at (815) 485-6901.
Winter Emergency Car Kit
SERVPRO of Frankfort knows emergencies are never planned. Because of this having an emergency kit in your car can help prepare you for an emergency if one should occur while you are driving.
Many people think of a first aid kit when the words emergency kit is used. Do you know what items should be included when building an emergency car kit?
The National Safety Council recommends building a car safety kit with the following items included
- Non perishable high energy food
- Drinking water
- Car phone charger
- Jumper cables
- Reflective vest
- Fire extinguisher
- duct tape
- Rain poncho
- Cold weather items including warm clothes, snow shovels and brush, windshield washer fluid, and cat litter
- spare tire that is inflated and a jack and wrench
- relective triangles
- first aid kit
You should check and restock your kit every 6 months and change your kit by adding or replacing certain items based on weather conditions in your area as well as distance of travel.
Signs of water damage
Water leaks can be caused by broken pipes, faulty appliances, and even weather events. Unwanted water can cause costly repairs and even structure damage to your property if not addressed quickly. But what does water damage look like? Some tell tale signs that you may have water damage in your home are
- Stained or discolored walls
- Peeling of paint
- Walls that feel soft or look swollen
- Smell of musky odor in the room
- Sight of mold on walls or baseboards
If you see any of these signs in your home, there is a high chance there is water damage. SERVPRO of Frankfort uses advanced equipment such as thermal imaging cameras to locate and quickly remediate the water issue.
If you suspect water damage in your home give our office a call right away at (85)485-6901 to set up a free inspection of the water damage. Within hours of the inspection, we will have a plan in place to dry out your home and reduce the risk of further damage occurring.
Safety while walking on ice
With winter quickly approaching, SERVPRO of Frankfort would like to provide a few tips to help keep you safer while walking around when ice is possible.
1. Wear snow boots or slip resistant footwear when possible.
2. Walk slowly. Take shorter steps and shuffle your feet.
3. Keep your hands free. Whenever possible try not to carry items or have your hands in your pockets. A helpful suggestions is to utilize a backpack during winter months when ice is possible.
4. Avoid uneven surfaces such as curbs as much as possible.
5. Use caution when entering and exiting your vehicle. Use the vehicle to hold on to if possible to reduce the risk of slipping.
6. Test an area with one foot before attempting to walk on a surface to determine if it is icy or not. Remember black ice cannot be seen.
7. Be attentive and use caution when entering your home or a business. Water may be on the floors which can make them slippery.
Did you know that 20% of Illinois tornadoes occur in fall and winter? According to the State Climatologist office for Illinois, during a 67 year time frame between 1950-2016 57 tornadoes occurred during the month of December in Illinois. On average there is 1 tornado in Illinois every 1-2 Decembers.
A few of the tips to remember
- Have a safe shelter in place and make sure everyone in your family knows where the spot is.
- Have an emergency plan in place.
- Have an emergency kit ready and stored in the safe location.
- Have a way to receive emergency weather alerts.
- If you have pets, get the pets ready and into the shelter area well before the tornado is nearby
For more information of how to prepare for severe weather events visit Illinois.gov
SERVPRO of Frankfort is ready to assist with any weather related restoration needs. We are ready to answer your call for help 24 hours a day. (815)485-6901
Prepare your home before holiday travel
With the holidays quickly approaching, many people will be traveling to see friends and family. SERVPRO of Frankfort has prepared a few tips to help prepare your home for your trip.
- Throw away and food in the refrigerator or pantry that may go bad while you are gone.
- Freeze a cup of water and put a coin on the top. Leave it in the freezer and check it when you return from vacation. When you return if the coin is not easy to remove from the cup, the chances are high that the freezer lost power during your trip resulting in your freezer items to thaw and refreeze.
- Set the thermostat for vacation. Do not turn the thermostat off as during winter months the house needs to stay at a minimum of 55 degrees.
- Turn the water off in the home. If you are not turning the main water line off, at least turn valves off to the toilet and faucet.
- If you will be out of town for long periods of time, consider turning the hot water heater off or on vacation mode to save energy.
- Lock all doors and windows including the ones in the garage.
- Give a trusted neighbor a key so they can access the home if there is an emergency.
- Set lights on timers to make it look like you are at home.
- If you have a fireplace close the flue so animals cannot get into your home.
Following these steps will help you enjoy your vacation more and have ;less worry while you are away.
Winter water damage prevention
Winter is quickly approaching and with winter comes many ways for water damage to occur in your home. From broken pipes to ice dams and everything in between. Below are a few tips to help reduce the chances of water damage this winter.
1. Inspect your roof including the flashing to ensure there is no damage.
2. Make sure all gutters and downspouts and clean and debris free. Ensuring water property flows away from your property.
3. Make sure your attic is property insulated and ventilated. This can help prevent ice dams.
4. Inspect pipes. Look for leaks, rust or signs of corrosion.
5. Make sure pipes in the attic, basement or crawl space are properly insulated.
6. If it gets extremely cold outside run a small the faucets to ensure the pipes do not freeze.
7. Prepare a list of emergency contacts to call in case of an emergency. Make sure this list includes a roofer, plumber and HVAC repairman that are available 24 hours a day.
SERVPRO of Frankfort offers free no cost assessments of water damage. If you believe you have suffered a water damage in your home give us a call right away. (815)485-6901.
Types of smoke
Different fires create different types of smoke damage. SERVPRO of Frankfort trained professionals can identify which type of smoke has affected your property so we can properly restore your home or business back to preloss condition.
There is wet smoke and dry smoke. Here are the different types of smoke that we look to identify when we are called to help with a fire or smoke damage.
Wet Smoke- (Plastic and Rubber) Low heat, smoldering fire, has a pungent odor and is sticky.
Dry Smoke- (Paper and Wood) Fast burning, hot temperatures, heat and smoke rise.
Protein Fire Residue- (Evaporation of materials) Almost invisible, will stain and discolor paint, extremely pungent ‘eye burning’ smell.
Fuel Oil Soot- (Furnace puff back) Malfunction causes smoke to blow through duct vents and cover the home with smoke odor and soot
Other Types- Fire Extinguisher
If you have smoke or soot damage in your home or business SERVPRO of Frankfort is ready to help. (815)485-6901.
Emergency board up services
It is extremely important to secure your property after a loss that has damaged your roof, doors or windows. Receiving board up services prevents damage from animals and even thieves and vandals. It also helps reduce the cost of repairs by eliminating secondary damage. Receiving a board up service or roof tapping helps ensure the weather does not do more damage to your home or business.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is even on several town/village and fire department lists to perform board up services. After a loss that requires a board up service, the fire department or 911 dispatch center calls us right away so we can secure the property immediately.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is available 24 hours a day to perform emergency board up services. If you have any questions regarding our board up services or any other services we perform, we are here to answer any of your questions. (815)485-0075
Winter Storm Preparedness
Did you know?
On average Illinois experiences 5 winter storms each year?
Nobody ever plans an emergency, so planning for an emergency is the way to go. Below are a few tips to help you prepare for winter weather.
- Make sure your emergency kit is stocked and winter storm ready.
- During winter weather conditions, use sand to improve traction and products to melt ice on the walkways.
- Have sufficient heating fuel
- Keep emergency heating equipment and fuel. Make sure you have enough to at least warm one room to livable conditions.
- Winterize your home. This can also help reduce your heating costs.
- If you do not have storm windows, cover windows in plastic.
- Do not overexert yourself of work outside for long periods of time.
To find all of these tips and more about preparedness visit Illinois.gov.
SERVPRO of Frankfort wishes everyone a safe winter and we are here to help with any fire and water restoration needs.