Damage from Clean Water
Clean water is considered water from a broken or leaking pipe, or other water source, rainwater is also considered clean. Clean water becomes gray water when the issue at hand is left untreated and bacteria and other contaminants start to grow causing the water to become hazardous. That is why it is so important to call SERVPRO of Frankfort immediately upon discovering possible water damage due to pipe breaks or leaks.
While you are waiting for help to arrive, consider taking the following precautions to minimize damage.
- Shut off the water source and call a professional if possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for rooms that are wet. Do not enter rooms with standing water as electrical shock could occur.
- Remove as much of the excess water as possible. Wipe excess water off furniture and mop of blot floors.
- Move any sensitive objects such as paintings, documents or valuables to a safe place if you think they may be affected by moisture.
- Remove any colored items from the floor to prevent staining.
When you have a water damage, do not leave your property to chance, call SERVPRO of Frankfort at (815)485-6901
Contaminated water also known as black water is typically caused by sewage back up, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water us highly contaminated and can be filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. For this reason, black water should always be handled by professionals.
While waiting for SERVPRO of Frankfort to arrive consider these tips.
- Avoid contact with sewage and any items that have been contaminated by sewage. If you do come in contact with contaminated items, wash your hands thoroughly.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as there is risk of spreading damage to uncontaminated areas.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure as airflow could spread contaminates.
- Discard of any food, personal hygiene products or cleaning products that were exposed to contaminated areas.
If you have any questions while you are waiting for help to arrive, we are always willing and able to answer any questions you may have.
Choosing the right fire extinguisher
Choosing the appropriate fire extinguisher is important to help minimize fire damage if it should occur.
Did you know there are several different classes of fire extinguishers?
Choosing the right one for you can help minimize fire and smoke damage if a fire does occur.
- Class A: This is the most common fire extinguisher and can be used to put out combustibles such as wood, paper, clothes and most plastics.
- Class B: This extinguisher is used for putting out flammable liquids such as gasoline and oil.
- Class C: Designated for fires involving equipment and appliances that are plugged in.
- Class D: Designed to be used on flammable metals. These are usually found in factories that work with flammable metals.
- Class K: Although these extinguishers are generally found in commercial kitchens, they are getting more common in residential kitchens. The Class K extinguisher is designated to use on fires that involve cooking oils.
Using the appropriate fire extinguisher can reduce the amount of fire damage in your home or business, and SERVPRO of Frankfort is ready to assist with any fire or smoke related damage after the fact.
Fascinating Hurricane Facts
- The term "hurricane" came from the Taino Native American word "hurucane" which means evil spirit wind. The term "hurricane" came from the Taino Native American word
- The term hurricane is only used in North America. Everywhere else in the world calls them tropical cyclones, except Asia where they are called Typhoons.
- At least 40% of hurricanes that happen in the US occur in Florida.
- Every hurricane is given a name. They are named in alphabetical order. So the first hurricane of the year will always start with the letter A.
- Every second, a hurricane releases the same amount of energy as 10 atomic bombs.
- The first man who every named a hurricane was an Australian weather man named C Wragge in the early 1900s.
- All hurricanes begin life in warm moist areas over tropical oceans.
- The planet Jupiter has a hurricane that is bigger than the Earth itself and has been spinning for over 300 years.
SERVPRO of Frankfort finds these hurricane facts interesting. Do you?
Celebrate Summer Safely
The first things that come to mind when we think about summer are backyard barbecuing, fireworks and bonfires. Did you know that July is the peak month for grill fires?
SERVPRO of Frankfort wishes you, your family and friends an enjoyable and safe summer. Below are a few tips to consider to help ensure your summer stays disaster free.
- Grills no matter if they are propane or charcoal should only be used outside.
- Grills should be placed away from any structures such as your home, garage or desk. Keep away from awnings and eaves of the home.
- Always keep your grill clean and empty grease trays from below the grill.
- When using charcoal ensure that the coals are completely cooled before disposal.
- Never leave a bonfire unattended and make sure it is in an area away from buildings and fences.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and do not burn dangerous items such as paint, tires and aerosol cans.
- If using fireworks or someone nearby is always wear safety glasses.
- Never try to relight malfunctioning fireworks, and keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off.
If your property suffers from structural fire damage give us a call at (815)485-6901 to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Board Up Services
Did you know SERVPRO of Frankfort offers board up services?
Whether the damage is from a fire, storm, break in, or other structural disaster, having your property properly secured is important. Boarding up a property correctly can stop secondary damage such as moisture or rain, animal intrusions, or even theft of property that is still inside the structure.
Boarding up a property after it has been damaged is a burden that no one should have to deal with especially the property owner right after suffering a loss to their home or business.
SERVPRO of Frankfort can properly board up the damaged property and can also remediate the original damage.
With our quick service and 24 hour availability, we are a preferred vendor for many of our local fire departments to assist with board up services after a fire.
If you should need board up services give our office a call 24 hours a day. (815)485-6901
National Lightening Safety Awareness Week
National Lightening Safety Awareness Week started in 2001 to bring attention to lightening being such an underrated killer. Since the start of this awareness week, fatalities due to lightening strikes has reduced from around 55 a year to less than 30 per year. It is encouraged during National Lightening Safety Awareness Week that you learn more about it and how to keep yourself and your family safe.
Outdoor activities should be stopped immediately if
1. You see lightening
2. You hear thunder. Thunder can sometimes be heard from distances up to 10 miles away
3. If the skies look threatening. Storms can develop quickly and overhead as they move into the area.
SERVPRO of Frankfort does receive a handful of calls each year from homeowners requesting assistance after a lightening strike causes fire damage to their home. Lightening can enter a structure from through a direct hit, through wires or pipes that extend outside the structure or through the ground. Once inside your home, lightening can travel through plumbing, electrical, and even through metal wires or bars that are in concrete walls and floors.
One solution to keep your home safe is to have lightening rods and the accompanying protection system professionally installed. They are designed to protect from a direct lightening strike and lightening initiated fires. These rods do not keep your home from being hit by lightening but rather intercepts a strike giving it a conductive path so the electrical discharge can properly disperse safely into the ground.
If your home suffers a fire loss from lightening or any other reason, SERVPRO of Frankfort is always ready to assist in the clean up and restoration process.
Why are SERVPRO vehicles green?
SERVPRO of Frankfort vehicles are very noticeable when we are driving though your community. We have green cars, trucks, vans and even a semi trailer. But have you ever wondered how SERVPRO chose this eye catching color?
In the early 1970s, the founders of SERVPRO used a color chip paint sample chart to identify the most eye-catching color. It was a highly technical process. The founders showed the chart to as many people as they could and asked, “Which color on this chart would be impossible to miss?” By a wide margin, the color most identified was 1970 rally green, a color used on Porsche 911 automobiles.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is here for you for any of your fire, water, or mold restoration needs. Give us a call today (815)485-6901
Reduce your Commercial Liability
Maintain your commercial building and minimizing your legal liabilities during the winter months by taking action to avoid hazards in your workplace environment. You can protect yourself, your employees and your customers by taking just a few simple precautions:
Use ice melt on sidewalks and walkways to ensuring the safety of passers buy, customers and employees.
Clean up dirt. A surprisingly large amount of dirt gets dragged into commercial building, especially . Dirt can cause significant damage to your flooring over time. To significantly reduce the amount of dirt and debris that gets dragged in, place utility mats inside and outside all entranced to the building.
Prevent slippery floors. Put utility mats down to minimize slippery surfaces created by snow and rain that gets dragged in when people enter your building. Place wet floor signs out whenever floors need to dry as well.
As a trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of Frankfort provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs. Your property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. When it’s impacted by fire or water damage, you need professional help. Every hour spent restoring your business is lost revenue and productivity. When you need professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and resources to get your property back to business quickly.
Know your Flood
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States, according to Ready.gov.
Floods cause billions of dollars worth of property damage each year. Since floods can damage any property in almost any area, it is crucial to learn how floods form, the various types of floods there are, and then form a plan of what to do in case you are affected by a flood.
- Flash floods are caused by heavy rains or rapid snow melt. Usually flash flooding occurs with little to no warning. These floods are fast moving and can be dangerous, sweeping away anything in its path.
- Coastal floods are caused by strong winds or storms that that push powerful waves onto the coast causing flooding.
- River Floods are generally caused by extensive amounts of rainfall over an extended amount of time.
- Urban Floods occur when there is a lack of natural drainage in an urban area or the city drainage system fails to absorb the water from heavy rains.
- Pluvial floods form in flat areas usually agricultural properties. These floods are the same as urban floods except they occur in rural areas.
Knowing which floods are possible in your area will help you better form a plan for what to do if you are affected by a flood.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help restore your home to preloss conditions no matter how big or small your flood loss may be.