Maintaining Fire Sprinkler Systems
SERVPRO of Frankfort had several calls during the extreme cold from businesses suffering from a water loss due to a malfunction or pipe break in their sprinkler systems. Below are a few helpful tips to help ensure your sprinkler systems continue to work correctly.
1. Keep your system in service. Limit the amount of time your systems are shut down. Always know why they are being shut down and how long they will be out of service.
2. Consider your Fire Safety System while making changes or upgrades to your facility. Remember that adding extra office space or rearranging appliances can have a significant impact on your systems ability to control a fire event.
3. Don’t Alter the System. Sometimes during remodels the system can get overlooked. Do not paint the system or any part of it. Some functions of the system will not properly work if altered.
4. Maintain adequate heat. Make sure to maintain adequate heat for wet sprinkler systems. It is important to make sure all auxiliary drains are drained and continue to drain during freezing weather for all types of sprinkler systems.
5. Conduct all required inspections and testing. Make sure the system is routinely tested and maintained.