High Rise Building Fire Safety
Whether you live in a high rise building, work in one, or are just visiting or vacationing in one, you should know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Do not block or lock fire exits, hallways or doorways.
- Do not prop doors open in the hallways. These doors help stop the spread of fire if an emergency should arise.
- Learn your buildings evacuation plan and make sure your family knows it as well.
- Make sure evacuation plans are posted in the lobby or high traffic areas of the building. If they are not talk with the building manager about getting them posted in those areas.
- Report any signs of damage to the alarm systems.
- Call 911! Never assume someone else has already called.
Get out of the building
- If the door is warm- Do not open the door. If you are able, call the fire department and tell them your location. Stuff the cracks of the door with towels or clothes. Open the window and try to signal for help.
- If the door is cold- Stay low and open the door a crack to see if there is any smoke. If there is smoke proceed as if the door was warm. If there is no smoke follow the evacuation plan in place.
SERVPRO of Frankfort specializes in large loss situations. We have the equipment, expertise and manpower to be able to restore a high rise building back to pre-fire conditions. We also offer a free Emergency Ready Profile to help you as a business manager/owner prepare for what to do after a disaster. For more information on this free service give us a call at (815)485-6901.