Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damages to your home can leave you wondering- ‘What do I do now?’ From the second the loss happens; you need to have an idea of what to do and who to call to help. For all your restoration needs, SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help you. However, after the fire is extinguished, and before help arrives, you need to have a plan of action. Even if you don’t have a plan, you need to know what to do to keep you and your loved ones safe. Below are some tips on what to do, and more importantly what not to do, after a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (815) 485-6901
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.