Preparing for an Ice Storm
Illinois has seen some brutal weather this winter, between the Polar Votex of 2019 giving us record breaking temperatures and the flooding that occurred right after with the change of temperature by almost 100 degrees. Now we are set to see an ice storm.
Preparing for an Ice storm is important because it brings the possibility of power outages. Below are a few tips to help you prepare.
1. Make sure flashlights and battery powered radios have batteries. Also keep extra batteries, candles, and matches on hand.
2. Unplug sensitive electronics and appliances if the power does go off.
3. If the power does go off keep refridgerator and freezer doors shut. If food should get to 40 degrees dispose of items immediately.
4. If you use an emergency heating source such as kerosene heaters, fireplaces, or wood burning stoves keep fuels away from the fame and ventilate. Never leave a fire unattended.
5. If it seems your home will be without power for several days drain your water pipes.
Other tips are
-Sore extra blankets and warm clothes where you can easily access them.
-Keep a first aide kit on hand.
-Keep extra canned food and water on hand
-Fill your gas tank up
-Keep cash on hand
-Have enough prescription medications to last a week
If your home should sustain fire or water damage during these times give SERVPRO of Frankfort a calll at (815)485-6901. We have trained staff ready to assist you 24 hours a day.