Car Donation to Frankfort Fire Department
SERVPRO of Frankfort is locally owned and operated. We love to give back to our community whenever we can.
Some of the things we have done in past years include; attend and support community events, deliver treats for the fire fighters at each fire department within our community, and assist with securing homes and businesses after a fire.
More recently within the last year we have started to attend and assist with more internal trainings the fire departments have which helps to ensure their fire fighters continue to receive proper training to adequately help the community when it is in need.
Recently we had the opportunity to donate one of our SERVPRO of Frankfort vehicles that we were removing from our fleet to the Frankfort Fire Department. They will be using the vehicle to practice extractions they may encounter when being called to an automobile accident.
We are here for the community and we are here for you too. If you should experience a fire or water loss give our friendly staff a call 24 hours a day. (815)485-6901
Removing Smoke Odor
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) there are over 358,000 home structure fires each year. Before I provide a few cleaning steps below, I want to mention that if there is any kind of soot lingering in your home, you should leave the removal to SERVPRO of Frankfort. Soot can be very dangerous, especially if it contains residue from chemicals, plastics, or any other caustic materials that have burned.
The cleaning steps below should help remove that lingering smoke odor in your home;
- Air out your home:
- Airing out and getting fresh air into your home is one of the best ways to start removing the smoke particles. Open any windows/doors, and be sure to remove screens. Then, put a few fans on high while aiming them at the room’s corners to help direct any smoke particles to the outside.
- Clean fabric items:
- Fabric holds smoke, so you should wash your clothing, curtains, pillows, sheets, comforters, area rugs, and anything else made of woven material. Be sure to follow washing instructions. Once washed, remove all woven items from the home to prevent them from reabsorbing the odor.
- Have the upholstery cleaned:
- Since fabric covered furniture can’t be put in the washer, it will still need to be cleaned to get rid of the lingering smoke smell. It is recommended to use a professional upholstery cleaning service. Again, keep pieces in storage or covered in plastic to keep them fresh until your home is clean.
- Getting rid of the smoke smell in your carpet:
- Baking soda is one of the best ways to eliminate the odor. Start by sprinkling baking soda over the carpet, let it sit for several hours or even overnight, and then vacuum thoroughly. You can also steam clean your carpeting. If neither one of these techniques work, it’s time to contact a SERVPRO of Frankfort for a deep cleaning. You may also need to replace the carpeting if the smell cannot be completely removed.
- Clean hard surfaces:
- Start by making a cleaning solution that consists of 1 gallon of warm water, 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of dishwashing soap. For wooden objects such as blinds, I suggest purchasing a cleanser formulated to clean wood. Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe away smoke that was exposed to all hard surfaces.
- Mop your hard floors using the cleaning solution and rinse the mop with fresh water in between mopping to flush smoke particles down the sink.
- Remove screens from the windows and wash them in the bathtub using dish soap. Be sure to wash the frames and corners of your windows as well.
- Change the air conditioning filter
- After every surface of your home has been cleaned, you will want to put a fresh filter in your air conditioning unit. If you have an HVAC or ventilation system, you need to contact a professional.
If you have followed all of these steps and the odor is still hanging around or the smoke damage is too overwhelming, it’s time to call SERVPRO of Frankfort at 815-485-6901 for assistance.
SERVPRO of Frankfort Response Guidelines
Have you heard of SERVPRO's Service Response Guidelines?
Within ONE hour from notice of loss, SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals will contact you to arrange for service.
Within FOUR hours of loss notification, SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals will be on-site to start mitigation services.
Within EIGHT hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to you and your insurance carrier by our manager.
What can SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals do for you?
- Fire smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Car
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
- Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods
To schedule a no cost assessment of your home or business give us a call 24 hours a day (815)485-6901
Severe Weather Preparedness
Severe weather can happen anywhere and anytime. Knowing the risks of severe weather, taking action, and being an example are a few steps you can take to be better prepared to save your live and assist in saving the lives of others.
The first step to becoming weather ready is to understand they types of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work, and how the weather can impact you and your family. You should form a shelter plan and it should include all types of local hazard scenarios.
Put together an emergency kit and keep important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Share your story of getting prepared with friends, family and coworkers It may help them feel inspired to develop a plan as well.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most to you on the line, know SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help. Our trained professionals are just a phone call away.
Maintain your commercial building and minimizing your legal liabilities during the winter months by taking action to avoid hazards in your workplace environment. You can protect yourself, your employees and your customers by taking just a few simple precautions:
Use ice melt on sidewalks and walkways to ensuring the safety of passers buy, customers and employees.
Clean up dirt. A surprisingly large amount of dirt gets dragged into commercial building, especially . Dirt can cause significant damage to your flooring over time. To significantly reduce the amount of dirt and debris that gets dragged in, place utility mats inside and outside all entranced to the building.
Prevent slippery floors. Put utility mats down to minimize slippery surfaces created by snow and rain that gets dragged in when people enter your building. Place wet floor signs out whenever floors need to dry as well.
As a trusted leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO of Frankfort provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs. Your property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. When it’s impacted by fire or water damage, you need professional help. Every hour spent restoring your business is lost revenue and productivity. When you need professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and resources to get your property back to business quickly.
Facts About Floods
According to the American Red Cross- Compared to any other weather-related disaster, floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year. Below are some tips on flood safety:
-Six inches of moving water can knock you right off your feet.
-Almost 20% of flood insurance claims come from low risk areas.
-If you are driving and come across a flooded road, turn around and find another route.
-$27,000 worth of flood damage in your home can come from just one inch of water.
-A car can be carried away by less than two feet of water.
-Make sure children stay out of water as it could be contaminated.
-According to Fema.gov, all 50 states have experienced floods within the last five years.
-Do not use a vacuum cleaner to remove water as you can cause damage to the device, or even electric shock.
When fire or water takes control of your life, SERVPRO of Frankfort will help you take it back.
Are you ready for spring storms?
Severe Weather can happen whether you are prepared or not. The following are averages of extreme storms Americans cope with each year:
-10,000 severe thunderstorms
-2 landfall hurricanes
These storms are the leading cause of $15 Billion worth of damage and about 650 deaths per year.
Some ways to better prepare yourself for these many severe weather situation are discussed here. You will first need to become aware of what kinds of hazardous weather can affect you and how it will impact your home, work, and family. You should check the weather regularly and make sure to have access to sever weather alerts- whether it be an app or a NOAA weather radio. Another step you should take is to organize an emergency supply kit that can include: water & food (3-day supply of each), battery operated radio, first aid kit, flashlight, important documents, matches, etc.
Please contact SERVPRO of Frankfort for more preparedness tips. Let us help you become “Ready for whatever happens!”
Costly Water Damage Due to Sprinkler Systems
If a sprinkler system breaks or malfunctions it can cause costly water damage to your business. When a sprinkler head breaks, it can spray anywhere from 8-24 gallons of water per minute. Within a 20 minute period one sprinkler head can dump hundreds of gallons of water inside your commercial building.
The NFPA reported in 2014 that fire departments responded to over 33,600 calls related to unintentional sprinkler activation's.
Below are the most common reasons a sprinkler system will go off unintentionally.
1. Overheating- A sprinkler system is designed to detect heat. It does not know what type of heat it is looking for so keep sprinkler heads away from heat sources, this includes light bulbs.
2. Freezing temperatures- When a pipe freezes it can cause the water inside to expand more than 10% which can cause damage to the pipe. Adding extra insulation around the pipes can help keep them from freezing.
3. Defects, mechanical failure, corrosion- All of these things can cause a sprinkler head to malfunction. Receiving regular inspections and maintenance on your system can help detect these issues before they become costly water damage.
4. Sabotage- Insurance fraud, a not so funny prank or vandalism. Keeping your system in hard to reach areas and areas that are in a more public view can help deter these things from happening.
If your sprinkler head should break and cause water damage to your business give SERVPRO of Frankfort a call right away at (815)485-6901. We can start the drying process immediately and minimize your business interruptions.
Is Your Business Prepared for a Disaster?
As a business owner, proper disaster preparedness is very important. You not only need to worry about yourself during a disaster, you must also worry about any employees, customers, or anyone else who may be inside your building when a disaster occurs.
Here are a few guidelines to help maintain a business preparedness kit to help protect yourself and your employees in an emergency situation.
Bottled Water- Make sure to have a 3 day supply of bottled water available for each employee.
First aid kits- Having a fully stocked first aid kit is essential. Also recommending that each employee keep a 3 day supply of prescription medications with them at work is also a good idea.
Non Perishable Food- Keep foods that do not need to be cooked and have a long shelf live available. Also keep a manual can opener along with the foods.
Hygiene Supplies- Keep soaps, paper towels, garbage bags, sanitized wipes, disinfectants and anything else needed to maintain sanitary conditions and avoid sickness during the disaster.
Emergency Supplies- Hand radio, whistle, batteries, flashlight, matches in a sealed waterproof container, and anything else that could help a search and rescue team locate you during a disaster.
SERVPRO of Frankfort professionals are available 24/7 to assist with any emergency fire or water needs. Ask us about our Emergency Ready Profile. The ERP can help prepare yourself and your business before a disaster strikes.
Illinois Winter Storm of 2021
From the subzero temperatures to the record amounts of snowfall, the weather Illinois experienced in February of 2021 is one to not be forgotten.
Our team of trained professionals at SERVPRO of Frankfort will surely not forget this winter. From roof leaks to broken pipes to ice dams, our team was working around the clock to assist as many homeowners as possible. During the winter storm our franchise alone fielded hundreds of calls for assistance due to damage to homes and businesses caused by the cold temperatures as well as snow and ice.
When the snow finally started to melt, the flooding of basements and low lying structures started to come in.
Our team of professionals at SERVPRO of Frankfort are highly trained and equipped with the most up to date technology and equipment for whatever weather Illinois throws at us. Because of this we are able to assist a large amount of home and business owners when the need arises.