Protecting your contents when your basement suffers a water damage
SERVPRO of Frankfort receives hundreds of calls each year due to water damage in basements.
Although there are several ways water can enter your basement, most of the calls we receive come from sump pump failures, hot water tank or other appliance failures, broken pipes, clogged or improperly places gutters and seepage through windows and walls.
If the basement of your home has flooded in the past there is a greater chance of it flooding again.
Here are a few tips to help minimize the damage and protect your possessions you store in your basement.
1. Do not store anything on the floor. Adding shelving to the basement can help keep your property safer in the even of a water damage.
2. Store items in air tight bags or plastic bins.
3. Keep precious items or valuables in the main level of your home instead of the basement.
4. Inspect the basement often. Look for signs of water, mold or rodents.
SERVPRO of Frankfort has the expertise and advanced drying technology to quickly dry out your basement in the event of a water damage emergency. If you need our assistance we are available 24 hours a day at (815)485-6901.
Reduce Business Interruptions after a water damage
SERVPRO of Frankfort understands the frustrations that come with suffering a water damage in your commercial building.
Our highly trained water technicians are available 24 hours a day to assist with your water damage emergency.
To reduce your business interruptions SERVPRO of Frankfort will
-Answer your call anytime day or night. Our production manager will call back within one hour to let you know what time we will arrive.
-Utilize advanced technology and state of the art equipment to properly dry your commercial property. Starting the drying process immediately reduces the risk of secondary damage and reduces the damage costs.
-Your assigned production manager will monitor the progress of the drying process each day as well as communicate daily on the progress. They will even be available to you by phone anytime you may have questions regarding your facility.
There is no such thing as a small disaster and that is why SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help. If you need assistance or have questions regarding water damage in your commercial facility give us a call (815)485-6901
What is a flash flood?
Rapid flooding of low lying areas such as washes, rivers, dry lakes and depressions. It can be caused by heavy rains associated with thunderstorms, hurricanes, tropical storms, or melt from snow or ice.
How dangerous is a flash flood?
Flash floods are the most dangerous form of flooding because the combine destructive power of floods with incredible speeds.
Is a flash flood covered under homeowners insurance?
A flash flood is not covered under a basic homeowners policy. For coverage to apply you must have a flood policy as well. Sewage back up is also not covered under a generally homeowners policy, you must purchase a separate endorsement to cover water damage due to sewage overflow.
As a rule of thumb If water first touches the ground before it enters your home it is considered a flood.
How can SERVPRO of Frankfort help after a flash flood?
-We offer an immediate response when you are in your time of need.
-Our trained professionals use advanced equipment and drying techniques.
- Progress will be closely monitored daily to ensure your property is properly and completely dried.
If you have any questions or need assistance due to a flash flood give SERVPRO of Frankfort a call. (815)485-6901
A quick response is what we do
SERVPRO of Frankfort 1/4/8 policy ensures timely mitigation which is key to reducing down time, costs and additional damages after a loss occurs.
To ensure you get the help you need quickly SERVPRO has a policy set in place. 1/4/8.
Within 1 hour- Within one hour of your call into our office you will receive a call from our production manager to arrange an inspection of your home or business to assess the damage.
Within 4 Hours- Within 4 hours of your call into out office, SERVPRO of Frankfort trained professionals will be on site to start the mitigation process.
Within 8 Hours- Within 8 hours of your initial cal into our office, we will have a plan formed. Our production team will be able to communicate everything that is needed to fully restore your home or business back to preloss condition.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is available 24 hours a day for any fire or water emergencies. Give us a call at (815)485-6901.
Batter and Charger Fire Safety
SERVPRO of Frankfort has received a greater number of calls in the past year for fires due to charger malfunctions than any other previous year. Because of the increase in battery charger fires in our area we would like to share some safety reminders to help prevent charger fires.
Lithium ion batteries are lightweight rechargeable batteries that come in many items you use these days. These batteries are in laptops, cell phones, tablets, cameras, e-cigarettes and even in your children’s electric scooter.
Devices with lithium ion batteries are used safely each year by millions of people, however they do pose a fire risk when they become damaged. Damage could include a short circuit, being over charged, getting wet or even being kept in extremely hot or extremely cold climates.
A few tips to help prevent a fire include
1. Use the charging device that came with the device.
2. If you need to purchase a replacement charger make sure it is name brand and made for your device. Counterfeit and generic chargers can fail to meet safety standards.
3. Do not some or use the device or battery in extreme temperatures. Extreme heat and extreme cold can cause the battery to malfunction.
4. Unplug the charger after the device is fully charged.
5. Do not charge on beds, couches, or cover the device or charger with anything. They do heat up and can cause great risk of a fire.
6. Do not overload your electrical outlets.
Please keep these tips in mind when charging your lithium ion battery powered devices. If you should need SERVPRO of Frankfort or have any questions regarding charger or battery fires give us a call (815)485-6901.
E-Cigarette Charging Safety
E-Cigarettes use a lithium ion battery to function. Because of this there is a risk of fire if the battery is not used properly. SERVPRO of Frankfort has received a few home fire calls that started due to e-cigarette chargers, and because of this we would like to provide a few tips to help prevent a home fire due to e-cigarette chargers.
E-cigarette fires generally occur when using a fake or faulty product or poor charging practices are used.
To help reduce the risk of an e-cigarette fire do the following.
1. Never let the device touch metal as it can cause a shirt circuit.
2. Do not mix batteries and chargers. Make sure to use the charger designed specifically for your brand of device.
3. Inspect the battery for damage often.
4. Properly dispose of the product when you are done with it.
1. Use the charger made specifically for your device.
2. Do not charge overnight or when you are not around to monitor the charging of the device.
3. Always unplug after the device is fully charged.
4. Charge on a flat surface away from anything that can easily catch fire if something should happen.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is available 24 hours a day for emergencies. If you need us we are just a call away (815)485-6901
Car Donation to Frankfort Fire Department
SERVPRO of Frankfort is locally owned and operated. We love to give back to our community whenever we can.
Some of the things we have done in past years include; attend and support community events, deliver treats for the fire fighters at each fire department within our community, and assist with securing homes and businesses after a fire.
More recently within the last year we have started to attend and assist with more internal trainings the fire departments have which helps to ensure their fire fighters continue to receive proper training to adequately help the community when it is in need.
Recently we had the opportunity to donate one of our SERVPRO of Frankfort vehicles that we were removing from our fleet to the Frankfort Fire Department. They will be using the vehicle to practice extractions they may encounter when being called to an automobile accident.
We are here for the community and we are here for you too. If you should experience a fire or water loss give our friendly staff a call 24 hours a day. (815)485-6901
Removing Smoke Odor
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) there are over 358,000 home structure fires each year. Before I provide a few cleaning steps below, I want to mention that if there is any kind of soot lingering in your home, you should leave the removal to SERVPRO of Frankfort. Soot can be very dangerous, especially if it contains residue from chemicals, plastics, or any other caustic materials that have burned.
The cleaning steps below should help remove that lingering smoke odor in your home;
- Air out your home:
- Airing out and getting fresh air into your home is one of the best ways to start removing the smoke particles. Open any windows/doors, and be sure to remove screens. Then, put a few fans on high while aiming them at the room’s corners to help direct any smoke particles to the outside.
- Clean fabric items:
- Fabric holds smoke, so you should wash your clothing, curtains, pillows, sheets, comforters, area rugs, and anything else made of woven material. Be sure to follow washing instructions. Once washed, remove all woven items from the home to prevent them from reabsorbing the odor.
- Have the upholstery cleaned:
- Since fabric covered furniture can’t be put in the washer, it will still need to be cleaned to get rid of the lingering smoke smell. It is recommended to use a professional upholstery cleaning service. Again, keep pieces in storage or covered in plastic to keep them fresh until your home is clean.
- Getting rid of the smoke smell in your carpet:
- Baking soda is one of the best ways to eliminate the odor. Start by sprinkling baking soda over the carpet, let it sit for several hours or even overnight, and then vacuum thoroughly. You can also steam clean your carpeting. If neither one of these techniques work, it’s time to contact a SERVPRO of Frankfort for a deep cleaning. You may also need to replace the carpeting if the smell cannot be completely removed.
- Clean hard surfaces:
- Start by making a cleaning solution that consists of 1 gallon of warm water, 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of dishwashing soap. For wooden objects such as blinds, I suggest purchasing a cleanser formulated to clean wood. Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe away smoke that was exposed to all hard surfaces.
- Mop your hard floors using the cleaning solution and rinse the mop with fresh water in between mopping to flush smoke particles down the sink.
- Remove screens from the windows and wash them in the bathtub using dish soap. Be sure to wash the frames and corners of your windows as well.
- Change the air conditioning filter
- After every surface of your home has been cleaned, you will want to put a fresh filter in your air conditioning unit. If you have an HVAC or ventilation system, you need to contact a professional.
If you have followed all of these steps and the odor is still hanging around or the smoke damage is too overwhelming, it’s time to call SERVPRO of Frankfort at 815-485-6901 for assistance.
SERVPRO of Frankfort Response Guidelines
Have you heard of SERVPRO's Service Response Guidelines?
Within ONE hour from notice of loss, SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals will contact you to arrange for service.
Within FOUR hours of loss notification, SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals will be on-site to start mitigation services.
Within EIGHT hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to you and your insurance carrier by our manager.
What can SERVPRO of Frankfort Professionals do for you?
- Fire smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Car
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
- Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods
To schedule a no cost assessment of your home or business give us a call 24 hours a day (815)485-6901
Severe Weather Preparedness
Severe weather can happen anywhere and anytime. Knowing the risks of severe weather, taking action, and being an example are a few steps you can take to be better prepared to save your live and assist in saving the lives of others.
The first step to becoming weather ready is to understand they types of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work, and how the weather can impact you and your family. You should form a shelter plan and it should include all types of local hazard scenarios.
Put together an emergency kit and keep important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Share your story of getting prepared with friends, family and coworkers It may help them feel inspired to develop a plan as well.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most to you on the line, know SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help. Our trained professionals are just a phone call away.