Know your Flood
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States, according to Ready.gov.
Floods cause billions of dollars worth of property damage each year. Since floods can damage any property in almost any area, it is crucial to learn how floods form, the various types of floods there are, and then form a plan of what to do in case you are affected by a flood.
- Flash floods are caused by heavy rains or rapid snow melt. Usually flash flooding occurs with little to no warning. These floods are fast moving and can be dangerous, sweeping away anything in its path.
- Coastal floods are caused by strong winds or storms that that push powerful waves onto the coast causing flooding.
- River Floods are generally caused by extensive amounts of rainfall over an extended amount of time.
- Urban Floods occur when there is a lack of natural drainage in an urban area or the city drainage system fails to absorb the water from heavy rains.
- Pluvial floods form in flat areas usually agricultural properties. These floods are the same as urban floods except they occur in rural areas.
Knowing which floods are possible in your area will help you better form a plan for what to do if you are affected by a flood.
SERVPRO of Frankfort is here to help restore your home to preloss conditions no matter how big or small your flood loss may be.